Genealogy Gems: News from the Allen County Public Library at Fort Wayne, No. 222, August 31, 2022
From: Genealogy Gems (genealogygemsgenealogycenter.info)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 21:39:03 -0400
Genealogy Gems: News from the Allen County Public Library at Fort Wayne
No. 222, August 31, 2022

In this issue:
*Memoirs and Essays . . . and a Cornucopia of Opportunities
*Professional Historical Studies Can Assist with Genealogical Problems
*Major Catholic Collections Online
*PERSI Gems: Auto Racing
*History Tidbits: The King’s Daughters
*Genealogy Center’s September 2022 Programs
*Staying Informed about Genealogy Center Programming
*Genealogy Center Social Media
*Driving Directions to the Library
*Parking at the Library
*Genealogy Center Queries
*Publishing Note

***************************************
Memoirs and Essays . . . and a Cornucopia of Opportunities
by Curt B. Witcher
***************************************
I often muse, and frequently write, about writing. Our families’ stories are such a consequential part of our family history work--I would argue the most consequential part. We cannot devote enough time to writing our stories, from writing up our interviews and experiences talking with family members to writing up all the research we have done and continue to do.

Many likely have read that one of the ways one can write better is to read, and read a lot. I believe reading serves a number of functions along the path of improving writing. First, it often will spur ideas or bring to mind happenings from our own life experiences. Even if not directly, reading about someone’s summer vacation, surprise trip, and amusement park adventures will bring back memories in our own minds about when we had similar experiences. If you make a conscious effort to write about the recollections you have when reading a book, article, post, or chapter, you might be surprised how much easier writing may become for you. Please don’t misunderstand: writing can be, and often is, most challenging. Writing about prompted recollections, though, can move writing from the realm of “I can’t do this!” to the realm of “oh, this is possible.”

Doing a lot of reading exposes us to different writing styles. Evidencing different writing styles can, even subconsciously, make us feel more comfortable doing our own writing. Maybe we mimic a style we find particularly interesting; maybe all the reading we do simply gives us more confidence (or license) to start or continue writing. Gaining confidence in writing and finding a style that interests you may help move you more quickly and deliberately to writing more consistently.

Reading memoirs and essays in particular can provide us with writing prompts. Others’ memoirs can provide a framework, even if a loose one, for beginning to write our own memoirs. Noticing events the writers touched upon and how they interleaved their own thoughts, feelings, and reactions to those events into their writing can be enlightening, instructive, and informative. Reading essays, too, on a whole host of topics can tap dormant memories and feelings that are nearly begging to be recorded and, yes, even shared.

Some memoirs, essays and books I offer for your consideration would include David Brooks’ books, particularly his two most recent ones, “The Second Mountain” and “The Road to Character.” Agree with his perspectives or not, his clear writing and thoughtful approach entice us to have thoughts and musings of our own, and to share those same entities. “Women's Letters: America from the Revolutionary War to the Present” is not only a good read but also a work that could lead one to muse about the experiences we have evidenced in the women in our family we know and have known.

Find the writings of a favorite poet, as those writings can also create writing prompts for you. A colleague reminded me of a writer from a couple of generations ago, Pablo Neruda. I have included part of one of Pablo’s writings. I believe few could read these words, these lines, and not think of at least one or two experiences to write about.

I want only five things,
five chosen roots.

One is an endless love.

Two is to see the autumn.
I cannot exist without leaves
flying and falling to the earth.

The third is the solemn winter,
the rain I loved, the caress
of fire in the rough cold.

Fourth, the summer,
plump as a watermelon.

And fifthly, your eyes,
Matilde, my dear love,
I won’t sleep without your eyes,
I won’t exist without your gaze,
I adjust the spring
for you to follow me with your eyes.

That, friends, is all I want.
Next to nothing, close to everything.

I encourage you to write as if that is all there is, because in many respects, it truly is what will keep our families’ stories and histories alive.

Cornucopia of Opportunities in September

Northeast Indiana Jewish Genealogy Society Program, September 11, 2022

The Genealogy Center is participating in the Northeast Indiana Jewish Genealogy Society’s program, “Meet Your Mishpocha.” This program is on Sunday, September 11, 2022 from 12 noon to 2 p.m. at the Rifkin Campus at 5200 Old Mill Road, Fort Wayne, Indiana.

The afternoon will include three half-hour sessions (offered in person or on Zoom for those who register):
 **Mike Brown, executive director of the Indiana Jewish Historical Society, will speak on the history of IJHS in Northeast Indiana at 12:30 p.m.
**Suzanne Grimmer, archivist, will speak about preservation of family documents and artifacts at 1 p.m.
** Our own Sara Allen, senior librarian at the Genealogy Center, will discuss DNA research at 1:30 p.m.
In addition to the presentations, resources available for those who attend in person will include:
**Advice on digitizing photographs and documents including opportunities for scanning.  Bring in your photos and documents and take the digital versions home on a new USB drive!
**Expert advice with beginning your family history or forging ahead with your current research
**Insights with interviewing people for oral history research and up-close accounts of the local Oral History Project
**Virtual tours of the NEIJGS Fort Wayne Jewish Families Database
**Resources of the ACPL Genealogy Center, the Indiana Jewish Historical Society, and the Allen County Genealogical Society
All in attendance can enter to win a free DNA kit and consultation with Sara Allen!  While this is an in-person program at the Rifkin Campus, please register for the program on Zoom at: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcvdu2orz4jGdW6nBU2wpMIpy0kdyRbqVlM

The Friends of the Lincoln Collection in Indiana Program, September 22, 2022

The Allen County Public Library and its Special Collections Division are hosting the 2022 Rolland Center lecture, a special annual event to highlight some aspect(s) of Lincoln’s life and times. Susannah Koerber, Chief Curator and Research Officer for the Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites, is presenting “Agency and Urgency: Lincoln, the Black Community and the Fight for Emancipation and Citizenship.” This engaging program will be on September 22, 2022 at 7 p.m. in the Allen County Public Library Theater at 7 p.m.

If you’re in the Fort Wayne and Allen County, Indiana area, please take advantage of these extra programs!

***************************************
Professional Historical Studies Can Assist with Genealogical Problems
by John D. Beatty, CG
***************************************
On 13 July 1783, a slave named Bob, the property of Williams Vick of Southampton County, Virginia, stood accused in the Court of Oyer and Terminer of “having had carnal knowledge of the body of Elizabeth Vick on the 9th day of July 1782 without her consent.” Despite his protest of innocence, the court found Bob guilty and sentenced him to be castrated by a skillful surgeon. Surprisingly, not only was he not executed (the usual punishment for rape), but he remained under Williams Vick’s ownership and was living as late as 1846, when he was valued at just 50 cents in the estate inventory of one of Williams’s unmarried sons. What exactly happened between Bob and Elizabeth? Did a rape even happen? If so, why was his life spared, and why did remain with the slave owner’s family?

As genealogists, we may never know the answers to such questions. Our first objective in conducting reasonably exhaustive research, the first step of the Genealogical Proof Standard, is to examine all the court records and loose court papers for this county, which, regrettably, do not provide additional answers. Our second objective should be to read any pertinent secondary historical studies as background to see if they can yield any other insights.

The Genealogy Center has an extensive collection of secondary historical works that focus on a wide variety of social history topics. As we research our families and write their histories, we want to make use of these works to see if they can help shed more insight in a macro way on such events in the past. The collection houses books on child rearing and marriage, death and dying, labor unions, religious groups, slavery, and many other topics that will help us place our ancestors into historical context. Too often these are neglected. Genealogists will search the indexes of these books to find their specific ancestor, but if he is not listed, the book is tossed aside. Yet by reading these books that are usually the work of professional academic historians, we can gain insight into additional sources that may be pertinent to our family study, and in the best case, we can use them to place our ancestors into the context of their world.

In trying to understand the case of Bob, one might consider examining Thomas A. Foster’s book, “Rethinking Rufus: Sexual Violations of Enslaved Men” (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 2019), GC 973.068 F811rr. Foster offers compelling evidence that enslaved African American men like Bob were routinely subjected to sexual harassment and even rape from their owners. This aspect of the slave experience has often been neglected in historical writing in favor of the abuse of enslaved women. However, using a variety of evidence that includes newspapers, abolitionist literature, and enslavers’ journals, one learns that enslaved men were often violated too.

Was Bob the victim of sexual violence? We will never know for sure, but by citing such works as “Rethinking Rufus,” we may get closer to finding the answer.

***************************************
Major Catholic Collections Online
by Sara Allen
***************************************
Religious records for various faiths and denominations can be a very useful substitute for missing civil vital records. Birth, marriage, and death information of congregants may be recorded in the church record books. All genealogists should familiarize themselves with their family’s religious affiliations and how to access records from those faith traditions.

Roman Catholic churches were very diligent with keeping records of baptisms, marriages, confirmations, and burials from the parish. These records are housed in a variety of repositories, including at the parish level, diocesan level, in archives or libraries, and increasingly online in digital format. The following is an incomplete list of some of the major collections of Catholic parish records found online, along with the database or website where the records can be found. Databases that are available by subscription only are indicated by a $ sign, while those without a dollar sign indicate free databases or websites. Keep in mind that some subscription databases are available for free to users at libraries or archives, including here at The Genealogy Center of the Allen County Public Library.

Be aware that not all parishes and time periods for each locality may be available online. And not all the records have been indexed by personal name. If they are not indexed, they can only be accessed through browsing or advancing through the digital file page by page. To do this, you must select the correct parish; you will then select the church book (baptisms, marriages, deaths) for the years needed, and you will start paging through the book digitally (records usually arranged chronologically), until you find the page with your ancestor’s name. Some individual church books might have internal indexes at the front or back of the volume. Be sure to look for those.

Selected list of major online Catholic Church parish records:
United States:
Diocese of Baltimore (MD) – Findmypast ($)
Diocese of Boston (MA) - American Ancestors ($)
Diocese of Chicago (IL) – FamilySearch.org and Findmypast ($)
Diocese of Cincinnati (OH) – Findmypast ($)
Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend (IN) – FamilySearch.org
Diocese of New York City (NY) – Findmypast ($)
Diocese of Philadelphia (PA) – Findmypast ($)
Diocese of Springfield (IL) – Ancestry.com ($)
Diocese of Toledo (OH) – FamilySearch.org and Findmypast ($)

United Kingdom
England – Dioceses of Birmingham, Liverpool, Middlesbrough, Plymouth, Salford, Southwark, and Westminster – Findmypast ($)
Scotland – Dioceses of Aberdeen, Argyll & The Isles, Dunkeld, Galloway, Glasgow, Motherwell, Paisley, and St Andrews & Edinburgh – Findmypast ($)

Europe
Austria – Matricula (browse only); https://data.matricula-online.eu/en/
Belgium – State Archives of Belgium (browse only);  https://search.arch.be/en/themas/tips/507-church-registers-en
Germany – Matricula (browse only); https://data.matricula-online.eu/en/
Ireland – National Library of Ireland (browse only): https://registers.nli.ie/;  Indexed on Ancestry.com ($) and Findmypast ($)
Italy – FamilySearch.org
Luxembourg – FamilySearch.org
Slovenia – Matricula (browse only); https://data.matricula-online.eu/en/
Spain – FamilySearch.org; Ancestry.com ($) and MyHeritage ($)

Mexico, Central and South America
Mexico – FamilySearch.org and Ancestry.com ($)
Haiti – Archdiocese of Port-au-Prince – FamilySearch.org
Peru – FamilySearch.org
Some other countries – FamilySearch.org

Asia:
Philippines – FamilySearch.org
Key:  $ = paid database; no $ = free database

***************************************
PERSI Gems: Auto Racing
by Adam Barrone and Mike Hudson
***************************************
A package arrived for me in the mail and my ever-curious teenage son asked, as he often does, "Whatcha get?" I pulled out a Fort Wayne Speedway program from 1938 and described it to him. His retort: "What?  Did they race at 30 miles per hour?" While his question was a bit tongue-in-cheek, it was evident that he had no concept of the under-the-hood power available to auto racers in 1938 nor what dangerously-high speeds they achieved. The 1938 qualifying field average of the Indianapolis 500 was 120 mph.

My son's experience with vintage auto racing is likely limited to an animated 1951 Hudson Hornet demonstrating a high-speed turn on a dirt track in the 2006 film Cars. I doubt he was in the room when Downton Abbey presented a recreation of a mid-1920s race at Brooklands Race Track in England. It's high time I plan a family trip to the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum in nearby Auburn, Indiana, so my children can get a taste of the evolution of automotive power.

Our Periodical Source Index (PERSI) is a splendid source for high-speed citations.  Supercharge your searches here:

https://www.genealogycenter.info/persi/

Automobile wins race vs elephant, 1913
Snake River (ID) Echoes, Vol. 24, Issue 2 (Nov 1995)

Barney Oldfield car race with DeLoyd Thompson in airplane at State Guard Encampment, 1915
Kentucky Explorer, Vol. 32, Issue 7 (Jan 2018)

Edward Eddie Rickenbacker World War I ace, bought Indy 500 race track, 1917-1934
Bend of the River (Maumee, OH), Vol. 39, Issue 5 (May 2011)

Elgin Road Races historical marker dedication, history, 1910-2010
Illinois Heritage, Vol. 13, Issue 5 (Sep 2010)

Everett Coxie Cox bio., race car driver and pilot established airport, 1910s-1960s
Genealogical Society of Henry County Indiana Newsletter, Vol. 5, Issue 2 (Sum 2005)

Frederick Jones, black race car driver, photo, 1918, Hallock, MN
Minnesota History, Vol. 54, Issue 4 (Win 2004)

George Schuster won the Great Automobile Race in a 1907 Thomas Flyer, 1908, Paris; NY
Minerva (NY) Historical Society Quarterly, Vol. 41, Issue 2 (Apr 2009)

Governor Marshall to lay gold brick at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, 1909
Whitley County (IN) Historical Society Bulletin, Vol. 57, Issue 2 (Jun 2019)

Henry Ford raced Model B on Anchor Bay ice and achieved 91 m.p.h., 1904
New Baltimore (MI) Historical Society Newsletter, Vol. 25, Issue 1 (Sep 2004)

Moose Myers holds records at Baer Field Raceway, 1970
Fort Wayne (IN) Messenger, Vol. 67, Issue 4 (Aug 1970)

Story of Castile Banked Curve Speedway and other short-lived tracks, jalopy era, 1900s-1940s
Historical Wyoming (NY), Vol. 62, Issue 4 (Apr 2016)

Occoneechee Speedway, NASCAR racing and religion, 1947-1956
Alliance for Historic Hillsborough (NC), Vol. 10, Issue 3 (Fal 2005)

Wilfred Bourque and Harry Holcombe killed at Indianapolis 500 race, 1909
Museum Memo (Plymouth Historical Society, MI), Jul 2009

***************************************
History Tidbits: The King’s Daughters
By Allison DePrey Singleton
***************************************
The King’s Daughters, or “filles du roi,” is an interesting historical phrase. At first glance one might take it as a reference to women who were blood descendants of the king in question. Alas, the term applies to women who were commoners. How did they obtain the title, “the King’s Daughters”? Let’s explore.

In the seventeenth century, New France, a colony of France, comprised an area that eventually became part of Canada and the United States. The Canadian portion included present-day Quebec, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island, while the American portion encompassed parts of New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota. By 1763, much of the land was ceded to either Great Britain or Spain, but until that point, the area remained a thriving colony of France.

The settlers of New France were initially fur traders, soldiers, and priests. In other words, they were overwhelmingly men. In order to strengthen the colony and increase its early settlement, the French government recruited women to immigrate to New France. Settlers received cash incentives to marry and have large families. In 1663, it was estimated there were 3,200 people in New France. The French government urged King Louis XIV to sponsor 800 single women to travel there and make favorable marriages. Officials reasoned that the presence of women would not only encourage more men to immigrate, but would also promote the establishment of large families.

It is believed that the women sent to New France went there by choice. The crown deemed them to be moral and physically able to live in the colony. The crown paid for their passage, and they each received a trousseau and a dowry. They were brought to Ville-Marie (Montreal) and were married. By 1672, the population of New France had increased to 6,700. The program was considered a success despite some women either returning to France or dying on the journey.

Many people who can trace their ancestry to New France during this time period can find an ancestor who was a King’s Daughter. A few famous examples include Hillary Clinton, Angelina Jolie, Madonna, Lady Gaga, and Tom Bergeron. Perhaps you might have a King's Daughter ancestor as well.

Citations and Further Reading:

Ascendance d'Angelina Jolie. (n.d.). Retrieved August 28, 2022, from http://www.francogene.com/genealogie/artistes/angelina-jolie.php

Beaudoin, M.-L. (1996). “Les premieres et les filles du Roi a Ville-Marie.” Maison Saint-Gabriel.

Gagne, Peter J. (2003). “King's daughters and founding mothers: The filles du roi, 1663-1673.” Quintin Publications.

“La Societe des Filles du roi et soldats du Carignan.” Welcome to the SFRSC website! (n.d.). Retrieved August 28, 2022, from https://www.fillesduroi.org/

Lacoursiere, J. (2021). “Histoire populaire du Quebec.” Septentr.

Lanctot Gustave. (1967). “Filles de Joie ou filles du roi: Etude sur l'emigration feminine en nouvelle-france.” Editions du Jour.

Landry, Y. (2013). “Orphelines en France, pionnieres au Canada: Les Filles du Roi au XVIIe siecle ; Suivi d'un repertoire Biographique des filles du roi.” Bibliotheque Quebecoise.

“Madonna and Lady Gaga.” Internet archive: Wayback Machine. (n.d.). Retrieved August 28, 2022, from https://web.archive.org/web/20131103095152/http://www.americanancestors.org/uploadedFiles/American_Ancestors/Content/Marketing/PDF_Archive/madonna_ladyGaga.pdf

“Madonna, her French ancestor Julien Fortin is born in Saint-Cosme (sarthe) in 1621.” perche. (2021, May 1). Retrieved August 28, 2022, from https://www.perche-quebec.com/madonna/individus/madonna-en.htm

Reitwiesner, W. A. (n.d.). “Ancestors of Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (b. 1947).” Ancestry of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. Retrieved August 28, 2022, from http://www.wargs.com/political/rodham.html

“Who do you think you are? recap: Those record-keeping French!” Ancestry. (n.d.). Retrieved August 28, 2022, from https://www.ancestry.com/corporate/blog/who-do-you-think-you-are-recap-those-record-keeping-french

***************************************
Genealogy Center’s September 2022 Programs
***************************************
Join us for another month of free, virtual programs!

September 1, 2022, 6:30 p.m. ET “Ethnicity Results Deep Dive” with Steven Frank, JD - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/7013013

September 6, 2022, 2:30 p.m. ET “Pass Down More Than Just Things” with Heather Nickerson - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/7143433

September 8, 2022, 6:30 p.m. ET “Using technology to preserve, cherish and share family memories and stories” with Chris McDowell - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/7156883

September 13, 2022, 2:30 p.m. ET “Family Stories: How to Assist Family in Telling Their Stories” with Allison DePrey Singleton - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/7160301

September 14, 2002, 7:00 p.m. ET “A Genealogist’s Holiday: The 1950 Census” ACGSI Hybrid Program with Allison DePrey Singleton - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/7143520

September 15, 2022, 6:30 p.m. ET “Let's Talk: Labor Unions” with Genealogy Center Staff and the Indiana Historical Society - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/7160339

September 20,2022, 2:30 p.m. ET “Exploring Missouri Roots - Available Resources in the "Show-Me" State” with Ginger Brickey - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/7160350

September 22, 2022, 6:30 p.m. ET “A Guide to the Daughters of the American Revolution Library” with Olivia Millunzi - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/7143518

September 27, 2022, 2:30 p.m. ET “Leaving the Farm” with Amy Vedra - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/7143652

September 29, 2022, 6:30 p.m. ET “If These Walls Could Talk: How to Research Your Home” with Elizabeth Hodges - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/7159166

Please register in advance for these engaging programs.

***************************************
Staying Informed about Genealogy Center Programming
***************************************
Do you want to know what we have planned? Are you interested in one of our events, but forget? We offer email updates for The Genealogy Center’s programming schedule.  Don’t miss out!  Sign up at http://goo.gl/forms/THcV0wAabB.

***************************************
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GenealogyCenter/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/genealogycenter/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ACPLGenealogy
Blog: http://www.genealogycenter.org/Community/Blog.aspx
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/askacpl

***************************************
Driving Directions to the Library
***************************************
Wondering how to get to the library? Our location is 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the block bordered on the south by Washington Boulevard, the west by Ewing Street, the north by Wayne Street, and the east by the Library Plaza, formerly Webster Street. We would enjoy having you visit the Genealogy Center.

To get directions from your exact location to 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, visit this link at MapQuest:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=900%20Webster%20St&city=Fort%20Wayne&state=IN&zipcode=46802%2d3602&country=US&geodiff=1

>From the South
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 302. Drive east on Jefferson Boulevard into downtown. Turn left on Ewing Street. The Library is one block north, at Ewing Street and Washington Boulevard.

Using US 27:
US 27 turns into Lafayette Street. Drive north into downtown. Turn left at Washington Boulevard and go five blocks. The Library will be on the right.

>From the North
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 312. Drive south on Coldwater Road, which merges into Clinton Street.  Continue south on Clinton to Washington Boulevard. Turn right on Washington and go three blocks. The Library will be on the right.

>From the West
Using US 30:
Drive into town on US 30. US 30 turns into Goshen Ave. which dead-ends at West State Blvd.  Make an angled left turn onto West State Blvd. Turn right on Wells Street. Go south on Wells to Wayne Street. Turn left on Wayne Street. The Library will be in the second block on the right.

Using US 24:
After crossing under Interstate 69, follow the same directions as from the South.

>From the East
Follow US 30/then 930 into and through New Haven, under an overpass into downtown Fort Wayne. You will be on Washington Blvd. when you get into downtown. Library Plaza will be on the right.

***************************************
Parking at the Library
***************************************
At the Library, underground parking can be accessed from Wayne Street. Other library parking lots are at Washington and Webster, and Wayne and Webster. Hourly parking is $1 per hour with a $7 maximum. ACPL library card holders may use their cards to validate the parking ticket at the west end of the Great Hall of the Library. Out of county residents may purchase a subscription card with proof of identification and residence. The current fee for an Individual Subscription Card is $85.

Public lots are located at the corner of Ewing and Wayne Streets ($1 each for the first two half-hours, $1 per hour after, with a $4 per day maximum) and the corner of Jefferson Boulevard and Harrison Street ($3 per day).

Street (metered) parking on Ewing and Wayne Streets. On the street you plug the meters 8am – 5pm, weekdays only. The meters take credit cards and charge at a rate of $1/hour. Street parking is free after 5 p.m. and on the weekends.

Visitor center/Grand Wayne Center garage at Washington and Clinton Streets. This is the Hilton Hotel parking lot that also serves as a day parking garage. For hourly parking, 7am – 11 pm, charges are .50 for the first 45 minutes, then $1.00 per hour. There is a flat $2.00 fee between 5 p.m. and 11 p.m.

Genealogy Center Queries
The Genealogy Center hopes you find this newsletter interesting. Thank you for subscribing. We cannot, however, answer personal research emails written to the e-zine address. The department houses a Research Center that makes photocopies and conducts research for a fee.

If you have a general question about our collection, or are interested in the Research Center, please telephone the library and speak to a librarian who will be glad to answer your general questions or send you a research center form. Our telephone number is 260-421-1225. If you’d like to email a general information question about the department, please email: Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

Publishing Note
This electronic newsletter is published by the Allen County Public Library's Genealogy Center, and is intended to enlighten readers about genealogical research methods as well as inform them about the vast resources of the Allen County Public Library. We welcome the wide distribution of this newsletter and encourage readers to forward it to their friends and societies. All precautions have been made to avoid errors. However, the publisher does not assume any liability to any party for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions, no matter the cause.